Thursday, April 4, 2013

A.H.A National Walking Day: Walking For Laura




We've all heard people say to cherish every moment you have with your loved ones. You never know when your last moment will come, when you or someone you love will take their last breath. Every day we take for granted those we love.

On 11 September 2012, I had such a moment. My best friend who I considered a sister, died suddenly. I was, and still am, devastated by her loss. We shared many funny moments, many tears, milestones and fears. Our children were in the same class. We did everything together, and it was rare to see one of us without the other. We had a wonderful bond.

She died of heart disease at only 36 years of age.

Laura (left) and me at my heaviest, 248 pounds!


Yesterday (3 April 2013) was National Walking Day, and a wonderful lady on the 3 Fat Chicks Forum shared that with me and said we should walk for Laura when I shared that one of the things that made my weight loss a necessity was the fact that Laura passed from heart disease. I am grateful for such a beautiful idea, and that complete strangers would walk for my friend, whom they never met.

Courtesy of the Ratliff family!

My children and I made our signs and headed to a beautiful park where we walked for Laura. It makes me smile to see that my kids acknowledge how important today was for me.
Here am I, ready to walk for my friend!

My children, ready to walk. :) Yes, Evie is wearing flip flops...sigh...


Thank you to everyone who walked in her name! It really made me smile to know so many would do this! Here are a few more photos from people who honored Laura and walked in her name:

A Friend in Colorado


Our children's teacher, Rocio

 


 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment