Monday, April 29, 2013

I'm a Hooper!

Okay, well not really! I've been wanting a hula hoop for quite some time, and for my 36th birthday (yesterday!) my amazing husband and children gave me a Danskin 2.5 pound weighted fitness hoop! I was completely tickled and in a big hurry to snap this baby together and get to hoopin'!

Ready to Hoop!
First I want to say that I have tried many times to hoop with a regular ol' hoop you pick up in the toy section. However, no matter what I did, I could not keep the darn thing from falling to the floor. I got a whole lot more exercise squatting to pick it up then I ever did actually using it for what it was meant for!

And guess what? I found out there is a very good reason I couldn't work the toy section hoop: It wasn't the right size. Call me ignorant, but I had no idea different sizes, let alone weights, were available.

I had my husband measure me for the correct size hoop and found I need a 37 inch hoop. The Danskin 2.5 pound fitness hoop is 39.5 inches in diameter, I believe, so it is a little larger than ideal for me, BUT I have a whole lot more luck actually hooping instead of just picking it up! (I read in multiple places that you measure from the ground to about an inch above your belly button to get the size you need. Plus size hoopers are recommended to go with 40-42 inch hoops from what I read.)

Keepin' It Up!
 
I do want to say thank you to Shannon Herrington A Whole Lot of Hoop Love for her inspiring and fun blog and for sharing info with me on a forum I posted in. I think I have a lot to learn still! Who knew? Shannon...I watched my arms today after watching your arms video! (Oh, and I do have an non weighted hoop on that should be here within two weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment