Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Day Back in the Gym After 15 Years!

I DID it! I slipped on my brand new work out clothes, packed my towel and water, and headed off to meet two very wonderful ladies at the gym.

Years ago, I actually had a gym membership and worked out in the morning before work. I loved the free weights. I loved the cardio. I loved the gym. Then life happened, or more to the point, depression and I walked away from the gym and turned to very unhealthy habits. One of my biggest regrets is giving up the gym.

We have decided that Friday evenings are going to be designated gym time for the three of us. It gives us great, healthy girl time. It's a wonderful way for us to decompress, laugh a bit, sweat, and get healthier. What better way to spend time together?

My goal was to use the stationary bike, and I accomplished that goal! I rode for an hour at an average of 11mph. My big toes went numb, which was quite annoying but a few minutes after my session, my feeling was back and I felt accomplished!! My calorie burn (based on My Fitness Pal) was 534 calories. I got in a good sweat, and really was feeling it, so I'll take it!!

Once I came home, I did my flutter kicks and my butterfly kicks. I'm very happy with the "feel" I get doing these! My friend, who is a personal trainer, recommended these to me. She told me to do them every single day, so I have been since she told me about them on Monday!

I finished my evening up doing upper body strength training. Tonight's session consisted of tate presses, hammer curls, biceps curls, shoulder shrugs, dumbbell flys, and dumbbell presses. Whew! I will blog more about my strength training adventures as I have them, and hopefully soon I will be using the free weights at the gym! Goals are important, and so far I'm doing a pretty good job of meeting the ones I've been putting in place for myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment