Monday, April 22, 2013

I Officially Think of Myself As a Runner!

Today I met one of the biggest goals I have set for myself!! I ran 3.1 miles (5K) straight through! There is an immense sense of accomplishment that comes from achieving this milestone! Even as a child, I was not much of a runner. In fact, I dreaded it! I always got those "side stickers," you know....the sharp agonizing pain that has a way of intensifying as you breath?

This year, I decided I was going to be a runner. I get asked a lot why I run when walking is sufficient exercise and running is so much harder on the joints and has an increased risk of injury. The answer to the "Why do you run" question is simple for me: "I run because I wanted to prove to myself that I can. I run because it is freeing, and relaxing." Soon, I hope to be able to add a few more reasons I run to the list!




You see, as I run, I have to focus on my breathing which means my "mind" is resting as much as it can. I focus on my breathing, keeping a steady pace, and on how my body feels. When I do my Zombie Runs, I focus on the story and just have a good time! When I walk, the outside world invades my thinking and I obsess over everything. Walking does not afford me the same mental peace I find when I run.

I can not say enough how valuable the Zombies, Run Game and the Zombies 5K Training apps have been for me. Without these two amazing programs, I would not be where I am today! So to the creators of Zombies, Run...I thank you immensely for giving me the tools to become a runner for the first time in my life! If you  have never heard of these apps/programs, then I suggest you click HERE!

I may not be a fast runner. I may not the thinnest runner. I may not be the fittest runner. But I run and that is what counts!


My Run Stats from This Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment