Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My "Diet" And Weight Update

I have had a few people ask what diet I am doing to lose weight. Truth is, I'm not doing any commercial diet, I'm not taking any "magic" pills, and I'm not starving myself either! I also don't look at my daily eating as a short term diet, but as a life style change. I do not want to lose this weight just to gain it all back...plus some!

Before I share with you what I have been doing, I want to share with you that as of today, 13 February 2013, I have lost a total of 17.6 pounds! That is almost 18 pounds in a month and a half, so I am pretty darned excited and proud, if I do say so myself! This means that what I'm doing IS working for me.

So, without further ado, here's a rundown of  what I have been up to:

Water: There is much debate on whether or not water helps people lose weight. I can say in my case it does. I drink a full 16 ounces before each meal. This helps me feel full faster, so I do not feel hungry or deprived. I also drink a full 16 ounces right before my workout, and if I don't, I wind up having to stop before half way through to drink. Because I drink so much water during the day (around 64 ounces, sometimes a bit more) I do not crave sugary calorie laden drinks!

My Fitness Pal: I use it daily to log every bite I take, every glass of water I drink, and my exercise. This keeps me accountable, on track, and I get to see a breakdown of my daily nutrient intake. It can be accessed by computer or by smart phone if you are on the go. It has been a valuable asset.

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet: This site and it's forum is holds a treasure trove of support and information! Not to mention they have a super cute banner theme!  I stop by daily and read scan through, as well as answer threads that have been posted when I feel inclined to do so. I have been doing so daily since starting my new healthy life on 1 January 2013! You can check them out here: 3 Fat Chicks on A Diet

Food/Calorie Intake: I use 1200 calories as a base for my day, and increase my calorie allowance based on activity level.  Portion sizes, need I say more? I broke out the measuring spoons, cups and measure everything I eat! When I shop for meat, I look for sizes that easily fit my needs.

Breakfast may be cream of wheat with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top, two eggs scrambled with cheese and Italian seasoning, or a Thomas Healthy Grain English Muffin with egg, cheese, and a half serving of ketchup.

I eat a salad daily that consists of baby spinach, kale, or mesclun mix, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes, raw baby carrots, fat free or light dressing, and protein. The protein may be tuna, salmon, free range chicken eggs (from chickens we hand raised!), or beans. Depending on my workout and how many calories I have burned, I may also get to have cheese!

 
This is Star, one of our Australorps.

I eat lean ground turkey instead of ground beef. When I cook pork chops, I do so in a frying pan sprayed with zero calorie non stick spray, and season the chops only with lemon pepper seasoning. No breading, nothing fancy. They are delish!

If something I am going to eat has a certain number of that item for a portion size, I count out exactly that many. One of my favorite snacks is Triscuit crackers (6 crackers is one serving) and two slices of cheese from Kraft combo packs. Each slice, in thirds, perfectly compliments 3 crackers!

Supplements: I take a fish oil capsule, multi-vitamin, magnesium, and potassium daily. These are also logged into My Fitness Pal.



So, there you have it! Watching my portion sizes, drinking water, and holding myself accountable are the magic ingredients in the "weight loss spell" I have conjured up for myself! Tomorrow I will share with you what I have been doing for exercise, so stay tuned!!












2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I absolutely love My Fitness Pal - and I needed to be reminded to drink more water :)
    Keep up the good work! You are such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing about your exercise plan!

    ReplyDelete