Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Egg Scramble with Asparagus and My Friend, "Gene!"

I never used to be a breakfast person. In fact, I avoided breakfast on most days. Instead, I would drink 2 mugs of coffee filled with about 350 calories worth of sugar and creamer added...in each mug! Then I'd be fine (usually) until lunch. On days I actually would eat, my sustenance of choice was cereal. I'd easily eat 3 servings or more in a sitting. A couple of hours later, I'd be starving!

Now that I am exercising daily and not drinking my calories, I eat a much more filling breakfast than cereal or sugar/creamer laden coffee. I can easily make it to lunch without feeling I need to eat 2 hours after breakfast! Pictured above is one of my fave morning meals:

Egg Scramble with Asparagus.
2 free range organic eggs (70 calories each egg)
1/4 Kraft Shredded Mexican Cheese (110 calories 1/4 cup serving)
1/2 cup chopped asparagus (approx 20 calories, my research showed varying results)
Italian seasoning (zero calories)
1 tbs ketchup (optional, 20 calories per tbs)

I chop the asparagus and measure out 1/2 cup. I heat in a non stick skillet with a little spray oil on medium high heat. I then mix the two eggs with the 1/4 cup cheese and Italian Seasoning and add to the skillet. I heat until done, constantly mixing with a spatula. The dish is less than 350 calories including the ketchup. It is really satisfying and I love the taste. I'm a huge asparagus fan anyway!

Each day, I drink 64 ounces of water. I have never been a water drinker in my life. It took some "weaning" to get where I am today. At first, I couldn't drink the water without adding crystal light. Then I switched to lemon juice or cucumber slices added. Today I can proudly say I love to drink plain ol' water, even with nothing added! In pursuit of my optimal water intake, I met "Gene," and he helps me stay on track throughout the day.

 
I LOVE that my nal"Gene" bottle is labeled "everyday!" That word alone reminds me to fill it twice and get my water in, everyday! The backside has a handy dandy "water meter" up to 32 ounces, so I know how much I'm getting in. I picked my "friend" up at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $10 and have had him over a year. This bottle is bpa free and has went through multiple tumbles in the dishwasher! A very sound, inexpensive investment!
 
The great thing about this bottle is if I want to add cucumber or lemon slices, I can! It has a wide mouth which makes it possible for me to flavor my water, my way!

 
 
Here I am, 24 pounds lighter, playing with my best friend, Libby in the backyard! Her and my yorkie, Scooter (who passed away last week) are my walking buddies. We both miss Scooter something terrible, but are devoted to continuing our exercise journey together.  
 














4 comments:

  1. Yum! It looks delicious! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to find a breakfast option with more protein that would be filling. This is such a good idea! I'm going to buy organic eggs (I hate GMOs) and add some asparagus. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try it! We use organic eggs from our own hand raised free range chickens! I believe it makes all the difference in the world!

      Delete