Sunday, August 25, 2013

30 Day Dumbbell Challenge: Day 1

I have really been slacking in my strength training. In fact, you might as well say strength training has been non existent in my workouts. It's not because I don't want to do it, I actually really do. But for some reason my sole focus has been on the cardio aspect and I have greatly neglected the strength training I know I should be doing.

So today I began day 1 on the 30 Day Dumbbell Challenge. I am following the routines posted here, 30 Day Dumbbell Challenge. (Thank you for being a great reference and allowing me to get back on track!)

Day 1 focuses on arms, shoulders, chest and abs. It consists of six different exercises and utilizes an exercise ball as a bench stand in. This works great for me, since I do not have access to a bench but do have my ball. (Make sure to purchase the correct size ball for your height.)

Today's workout consisted of the following:
  • 12 reps of Biceps Curl 
  • 12 reps Triceps Kickback, both sides (ball acts as bench)
  • 12 reps of Bench Press (ball acts as bench)
  • 12 reps of Kneeling One Arm Row, both sides (ball acts as bench)
  • 12 reps of Lateral Raise 
  • 12 reps of Dumbbell side bend

  • I have been out of practice for quite a few years, so I am starting with 8 pounds weights. I did these exercises straight through without a break, then took a 4 minute break and followed with a second set of the same exercises. My arms were shaking and I did find it difficult but I pushed through it. I do have to say that I "wonder" if I could have pushed myself and got it done with 10 pound weights. I will use them on the next arm, shoulder, ab day.

    You may be wondering where the abs come in on this workout routine. If you have never used an exercise ball, you are in for a big surprise! In order to stay stable on the ball and keep from falling off, you will need to engage your abs and core. I also keep my abs tightened while doing the exercises that don't utilize the ball, so there is a bit of ab work there as well.

    Here are my starting measurements, taken 25 August 2013.
    Left Arm: 14.5 inches
    Right Arm: 14.75 inches
    Chest: 37 inches
    Waist: 37.5 inches
    Hips: 43.5 inches
    Left Thigh: 26 inches
    Right Thigh: 26.5 inches
    Left Calf: 16 inches
    Right Calf: 16.5 inches

    I also did 4.6 miles of walking/running today, so I am still getting in my cardio. I will check in tomorrow with how I feel after today!

    From Fat to Fit!!!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment